Thursday, November 22, 2012

THANKSGIVING - EVEN WHEN IT'S HARD!

Today, millions of Americans will be gathering around tables to eat turkey, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie. They will laugh, eat too much and watch the Lions lose, I mean play.

I love Thanksgiving because it's simply about being together with your loved ones and about being thankful. Although, to be completely honest, the whole food thing isn't so bad either! :)

The thing is though, not everyone is enjoying today. There are many people who sit alone or force a smile even though inside they are hurting for a variety of reasons. Maybe a spouse has left or betrayed them; maybe a child has gone off the rails or is struggling; maybe the person was just told of a terrible diagnosis that will change her life forever; maybe they know this will be the last holiday meal in a home that is going into foreclosure; maybe their family is just so dysfunctional, the idea of being alone is way more appealing than gathering together. Whatever the reason, a day like Thanksgiving just seems to rub salt in the wound.

Although your circumstances might not be ideal or just plain stink at the moment, there is one thing we can all do today - be thankful.

"Whoa," you might say, "how can I be thankful for this (whatever this might be in your life)?"

God tells us to be thankful IN all things, not necessarily FOR all things. No matter what is going on in my life - and trust me, in the past three years there has been quite a lot that hasn't been sunshine and roses - I can choose to be thankful for the many blessings God has given me. I can choose to praise Him even if I don't necessarily feel like it.

Because the truth is God HAS blessed me abundantly, and He is worthy of my praise.

It's so easy when things are going badly to focus on that, but I have found in my own life, if I intentionally turn my eyes on the blessings, it helps me all the way around. My emotions get in a better place. My physical self doesn't feel quite so weighed down. I can smile and mean it. I can look out instead of focusing on myself.

And let's face it, too much navel gazing and inward focus just makes you feel worse in the long run!

So, today, may I encourage you to take a few moments and count your blessings and praise the Lord? I know it sounds cliched, but it really does help. God never asks us to do hard things that aren't for our own good.

"I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth." Psalms 34:1

Happy Thanksgiving!
~ Blessings, Bronte

p.s. For days 21 and 22 in my 30 days of thankfulness, I am thankful for my home because it holds so many memories< and I am thankful for the fact that I can be home today with my family and not have to work like so many do. I consider that a huge blessing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment