Tuesday, November 6, 2012

DEMOCRACY IN PROGRESS

This morning, after dropping off my kids, I voted. Can I just say how thankful I am to live in a country where I can vote?

Not everyone lives in a country where going to the polls to vote is a violence-free event. I'm thankful that I live in a country where I don't have to fear for my physical safety when I fill out my ballot.

Despite our freedom to vote and the wonderful privilege that is, this particular election season seems to have been extra brutal. The race is tight. If the political pundits are right, it will probably go down to the wire.

It's sort of a recipe for anxiety, isn't it? Will my candidate win? What will happen if he doesn't? Will I be able to talk to my relatives and friends again after some of the things I posted on Facebook?

People are passionate about their candidate and sometimes that passion has spilled over into hostility and ugly words. Even among believers. Even at church.

While I am grateful for living in a country that still uses the political process, I don't really enjoy all the ugliness that accompanies this time of year.

For the record, I voted for Romney and Ryan. I didn't do that because I think President Obama is a horrible person. I didn't do it because I'm some kind of racist. If truth be told, President Obama and his wife are probably lovely people. I'd probably enjoy talking with them. There are things I greatly admire about them - how they've kept their girls out of the spotlight during the past four years being one of them. I appreciate Michelle Obama's passion to get kids eating better and moving more.

However, I don't agree with the current President's view of what our government should look like. We have very different ideology. I could talk to him for hours and I don't think we could find a compromise because our views are just so different.

Can I just say, though, that differing opinions or views or ideologies don't give me the right to call someone ugly names or denigrate his character without solid proof.

It also doesn't allow me to judge your Christian walk because you may have marked a different name than I did on your ballot.

I voted for Romney, so, obviously, I hope he wins. But if he doesn't? That's okay, too. I won't necessarily like it, but I serve a God that Scripture says holds the heart of kings in His hands.

It's really easy to get caught up in the hype and get completely wigged out about the outcome of something as serious as a presidential election, but God is still on His throne. He still loves me and my family. He still has plans and a purpose for me, for my family, for my community - no matter who wins tonight.

So, today, as we wait with bated breath for the announcement of who our next president will be - let's agree that no matter who we voted for, we can be truly grateful that we live in a country that allows widely differing political views and discussion of those views (even very, ahem, heated discussions) without fear of retaliation. There are many people around the world who don't have that luxury.

Even if our views are different, let's agree that under the blood of Christ, we are all in a red state (even if your party affiliation happens to be blue).

"The Lord established His throne in heaven and His sovereignty rules over all." Psalms 103:19

~ Blessings, Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment