Tuesday, November 13, 2012

30 DAYS OF THANKFULNESS - Days 12 & 13

I had a hard time feeling very thankful today. That is because I'm tired. I get kind of cranky when I'm tired.

The reason I'm tired is because I have "The Cough." I've had "The Cough" for about four weeks and it often wakes me up at night. Last night, I was up for a couple hours which made me somewhat incoherent this morning.

Even though I'm tired, I can still be thankful right? So, here goes my list for yesterday and today.

On day 12, I am thankful for my boys. Brock is now 14 and Brody is 11. I look at them and I'm sort of amazed. I distinctly remember looking at Brock when he was a newborn, and thinking, I am responsible for this little being. Then I promptly burst into tears. I remember wondering how in the world I was going to teach him to feed himself. It seemed so complicated. Potty training seemed like rocket science to me.

Then Brody came along, and I thought I had this mom thing down pat. Well, you know how people say "never say never?" Yeah - that would be me as I realized that despite almost three years on the job, I had to start over from scratch because while yes, he was a human being and yes, he was also male- there the similarities ended.

I'm sure if you have more than one child, you know what I'm talking about. It still amazes me that two boys who came from the same parents, raised in the same home could be so different.

It just goes to show that God makes each person unique and special. I am so thankful for that uniqueness. I love each of my boys and am so thankful for exactly who God created them to be. I enjoy spending time with them and watching them grow up (but not too fast - please!). I am so blessed by my boys.

On day 13, I am thankful for another being - one that isn't quite as far up the list as my sons, but I certainly think of him as part of the family.

Today, I am thankful for my dog Kipper. If you know me at all, you knew this was coming. ;)

I have always loved animals and wanted a dog of my own, but I didn't get my first dog until I was 34 years old. He really IS the best dog. He's funny and sweet. He's loyal and patient.

He will let a toddler give him a dental exam, but I would not envy someone trying to hurt myself or my kids. He might even protect Bruce too in a pinch!

Together, my dog and I have walked over 1,000 miles. If I didn't have him, it would be way too easy to skip that walk when I was tired or the weather wasn't that great. Kipper doesn't let me though. He looks at me and nudges his leash. If I get my walking shoes on, he starts to wag his tail and get excited.

I call him my satellite dog because he is always in the vicinity, and he's always tuned in. If anyone is upset, Kipper will make his way out and lay that long, pointy nose in the person's lap. He'll lick away tears and lean against you in a show of solidarity.

I often have people stop and tell me how beautiful he is, and I always tell them he's as nice as he is handsome.

I am so thankful that God has given us the gift of animals, pets in particular. Yes, I know they are "just" animals, but they bring so much joy in our lives. I can never quite get over my amazement that I can communicate with another species. There is just something very cool about that.

So, what are you thankful for this week?
~ Blessings, Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment