Thursday, January 26, 2012

THE BOTTOMLESS PIT

I have a 13 year old son. He's always hungry. Always. We had dinner before his basketball game tonight - grilled cheese, fruit and some pretzels. After the game, we stopped at McDonalds (yes, I realize it isn't really food but we went with friends). He had a double cheeseburger and a McChicken sandwich.

We got home and he wanted to cook up a stack of waffles. After convincing him he should have an apple and some more pretzels instead, he then wanted to make an english muffin with peanut butter and jelly. He's now sitting at the table eating a big square of homemade granola bar.

What can I say? He's growing. So, we just keep shoveling in the food, (and I cut a lot of coupons and look for sales). I remember when it was a huge victory when he ate a little bit of everything on his plate - those days are long gone though.

Because he is growing, his body needs fuel. Because he is extremely active, it means he needs even more fuel. So, like any good parent, I try to make sure he has good food (McDonald's notwithstanding tonight) so that what he puts in his body is helping his growing body and giving him energy for his activities.

Of course, you knew I'd turn this into some kind of spiritual metaphor didn't you? If you didn't, well, I am. As I watch Brock's seemingly insatiable appetite, I wonder about my own appetites. What am I hungry for? (besides food)

In Psalms, David says "As the deer pants after water, so my soul longs after you." I love Psalms 27 because in it David says something quite interesting. He says that the thing he desires the most, more than anything in verse 4: "One thing I have asked from teh Lord, that I shall seek; That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to meditate in His temple."

Of all the things David could ask for, the thing he wanted the most was to be in the God's presence. It makes me wonder what is the thing I most want? Is it God or the things He can give me? Sometimes, it is easy for me to start focusing on what God is doing rather than just who HE is, but when I fill myself up with HIM, that is when growth happens and I have the fuel to be active for Him.

God IS the rewarder of those who seek Him with all their hearts, and the reward is, well, HIM!

So, what are you hungry for?
~ Blessings, Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment