Friday, February 8, 2013

NOT AS FAR AS WE THOUGHT

For the first time in a long time - well, maybe ever - I watched the Super Bowl. My pick, the Ravens won, but I'll admit here, the only reason I picked them is I think the 49er's colors are ugly. I know - I'm such a girl! lol

Maybe it's because I don't really watch a lot of television, or maybe it's because I don't know that I've ever seen a Super Bowl halftime show, but I got quite a jolt when Beyonce came out to sing.

My two sons and husband immediately got up and went into the other room. I, on the other hand, sat there staring at the tv in a bit of shock.

I'm probably going to get tomatoes for this, but to me, the halftime show resembled something you'd see in a strip joint - well, with good singing, but still. It wasn't just the outfits, either. The dance moves were pretty raw, as well. I kept thinking, "Aren't there kids all over the U.S. that are watching this?"

It's not like I don't know this is the way of the world. I really don't live in that small of a bubble, but it was like when you dive into a pool. You know it's going to be cold. You are very aware of that fact, but it still sort of jolts your system when you dive in. I knew that this is a lot of what entertainment is like, but I was still somehow surprised.

And saddened.

Beyonce is a beautiful, talented woman, but her talent wasn't on display on that stage. Her body was, and to me, with all the opportunities and advantages that are available to women today, that is sad.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm better than Beyonce or any entertainer. I'm not here to tear her down as a person, but I'm disappointed. She's better than that. She has the position and fame to choose to be a great role model to young girls, but instead of showing that her talent is valuable, she is sending the message that your value is equal to your sex appeal.

I thought we'd come farther than that.

While I am not a feminist by any stretch, doing a study on the women of the Bible over the past few months has given me a new appreciation for the fact that I have control over many of the things in my life. I might not always make the best choices, but at least I have a choice which is more than I can say for the women back then!

Back then, your appeal to the opposite sex really did make or break you. That and your ability to have multiple sons are the only things that gave a woman any kind of leverage in her own life.

On Facebook, there were a lot of posts on the sex trafficking that happens at the Super Bowl. There was much outcry about how awful and bad that was, and I agree. It's a travesty that this even happens in this country at all.

But I couldn't help thinking - is the halftime show much different? After all, wasn't Beyonce trading on her sex appeal for money? Wasn't she giving her body visually to the crowd? The worst part, to me, is that unlike many women, she had a choice.

We may have come a long way, but apparently, not far enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment