Tuesday, February 19, 2013

NO MORE PROCRASTINATING!

Someday - it's the most dangerous word for any dream and dreamers seem to specialize in somedays. At least, I do at any rate.

Someday, I'll write that book. Someday, I'll start my freelancing career. Someday, I'll clean out that closet, but someday never comes.

This week, Holley Gerth has asked us to share the one thing we will not delay any longer on the road to our God-sized Dreams. I thought about this quite a bit since she posted the assignment.

To be completely honest, this assignment hit pretty close to home for me because let's face it - I am the QUEEN of not following through. I have lots of plans for tomorrow, but my today is frittered away far too often.

So, I have made myself a list of three things. I am giving you permission to hold me to it.

The first thing I am doing is scheduling a head shot of myself. I really hate getting my picture taken. In our last family picture my youngest is a year old. Did I mention he'll turn 12 this spring? It's so easy to want to wait to get my picture done after I lose weight or after my hair grows out or after I get it cut or after my freckles fade from the summer sun. Lots of excuses going on, but I need a head shot for my new blog I'm working on - no more waiting to lose 10 lbs!

The second thing I will be doing this week is sending out at least two query letters to a magazine. It's so easy to read about doing it and then research magazines and a million other things to prepare to send those queries out. But while it is good to be prepared, I can also get stuck there and never actually do it! So, this week, I'm going to bite the bullet and send out two queries and write for sample copies and guidelines for two more.

The third thing I'm going to do is write out the short story that has been rattling around in my head for the last week. My hope is to get it into good enough shape to send to the Writer's Digest writing contest. It may not win, but there is one thing I DO know. If I don't send it in, it has a 100% chance of not winning.

As a dreamer, it's easy to see the distant peak of your dream, but forget that without mapping out the path from here to there, it stays a fantasy.

Yesterday, I turned 40 years old. I have decided that with a new decade, comes a new adventure. THIS is the decade that I will go from a girl with her head in the clouds to a woman with her feet on the path, moving forward.

What is one thing you can do today to move toward your dreams?

~ Blessings, Bronte

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday a day late! I hope it was a wonderful celebration. :) Blessings to you as you continue the journey toward your God-Sized Dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We celebrated tonight and I have more things coming up this week with friends. Personally I think your birthday should be a week long event! lol Thanks for your kind words, Mel. :)

      Delete
  2. Have I mentioned that I LOVE the title of your blog? :) And, you go for it girl, on all of these!!! I can't wait to see that gorgeous head shot. I'll be checking back, dreamer-friend! Blessings to you, amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) I started this blog to sort of chronicle my journey to truly becoming free. It's neat to go back and see all that God has done in the past few years. :)

      Delete
  3. Yay! Can't wait to see that headshot and your smiling face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a Mom's board and Kipper (my dog) is my avatar on there too. Well, one day, this one woman was saying how her daughter (who was like 3 yo) always called the ladies by their avatar and she saw mine and said, "There's that dog lady with the really big nose!" lol

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! You've got a GREAT start to your new decade:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little late but Happy Birthday Bronte !!! I have also been putting off getting both headshots and family pictures made. I have finally come to terms with the weight and hair issue but the cost of get professional pics made is now holding me back. I can't wait ti see how yours turn out.

    ReplyDelete