Friday, February 22, 2013

BOOK WALLOWING

I am a bookworm. From the time I could first read I was always diving into stories - well, I take that back. Before I could read, I relentlessly pestered the adults in my life to "read me a story." I couldn't get enough of stories.

Even now, my husband says that I inhale books, and it's true. If I get a good book, there's a chance that by the time I put my head on my pillow to sleep, I will have read the last page.

My love of books is one of the reason I want to be a writer. If I read a particularly well-written story, I often cry when I turn the last page because it hits me in a very tender part of my heart that THIS is what I want to do - to touch someone's heart, to change their perspective, to widen their view and open their mind.

In the past few weeks, I've been running breathless. I've been looking at my dreams, honing in on what I need to do and where my focus needs to be. That's a good thing. In order to realize a dream, I can't just fantasize about it. I have to pull on my boots and start walking toward the peak of the mountain. There is no magic "beam me up" in realizing a dream.

But in the process of getting on the path and moving toward my goal, I have been missing the scenery. Yes, realizing a dream can be hard work. Sweat may be involved - even tears, but if I trudge along, with my head down, I am missing out on the beauty of the journey.

This week was my "birthday week," and yes, if possible, I try to stretch out the celebration as long as possible. So, after getting my "have to" work done, I decided to give myself a little present - the freedom to enjoy a few good books.

To be completely honest, I needed a little break from learning about developing platform and designing my blog and narrowing my niche. I needed to clear my head from researching potential markets for my work and remember why I write in the first place - to honor my first love which has always been and will always be fiction.

So, yesterday and today, I've been a bit of a loaf. Yes, I got my necessary things on my to do list done, but instead of trying to squeeze a few more things on there, I sat down. And I read.

It was like my soul went "ahhhh."

As someone who feels like I'm always about two steps behind, it's hard to give myself permission to just be. The thing is though, busyness does not beget creativity. Creativity blossoms in times of stillness, in times where there is enough non-activity to peel back the brain from the present urgency that often surrounds and presses down on me.

So, this week, I'm book wallowing. I have a small stack of well-written, interesting stories, and as a birthday present to myself, I'm giving myself a little time - time to read, to wallow in the written word.

What book has touched your heart recently? I'd love to hear about it as I'm always looking for a good read!
~ Blessings, Bronte


No comments:

Post a Comment