Tuesday, May 24, 2011

RECOVERY, THE SPIRIT AND OTHER PONDERINGS

So, it's been exactly a week since my outpatient surgery. Before I get into what God showed me today in my quiet time, I really need to give some public praise for God's goodness to me this past week.

First of all, the one thing I was really nervous about was the IV. Usually, the nurse has a terrible time getting the IV in and it hurts and I come home black and blue. This time, they numbed it! It was a breeze and the IV went in on the first stick! What I want to know is where has this stuff been all my life??? lol

Second, my recovery has been very easy. I wasn't sure what to expect, but from everything I read and what the doctor told me, more pain seemed to be in the forecast. But there wasn't. I think I took a total of 3 pain pills the entire week, including Tylenol. They prescribed me enough percacet to last a month though. Now I'm prepared if the summer gets a bit tedious - just kidding!

Okay, now on to my study this morning. We are starting a new study in my Sunday School class - an indepth look at Romans 8. To be honest, I was intimidated because I have to teach it, and Romans has always seemed to me so, well, Biblically scholarly. There is a lot of great stuff in Romans, but there is also a lot of foundational theology and I am NOT a Bible scholar. I mean, I was wondering if I could DO the study, nevermind TEACH it!

So, wasn't it interesting that today's lesson focused on the Spirit in us. As I noted how walking in the Spirit was infinitely better than walking in the flesh, it occured to me that while I have to be willing, the Spirit is the one that does all the heavy lifting.

My study took me back to John 16:5-15, where Jesus is telling His disciples that He needs to go but that He will send the Spirit to them. Jesus started telling the all the benefits the Holy Spirit will bring. He will convict and He will instruct and He will comfort.

I've spent my whole life in church. I went to a Christian school and for several years, to a Christian college. It's not like the fact that once you are saved, the Holy Spirit lives inside of you is news to me. But today, I was just overwhelmed by what an awesome gift that really is!

Then my study took me to a brief perusal of Acts to look at the changes in the disciples. It was the typical before and after idea, but spiritual instead of physical.

The first person that caught my eye was Peter. Peter, who denied Christ three times. Peter, who brashly cut off the soldiers ear. Peter, who seemed to always be sticking his foot in it. THAT Peter was different on the day of Pentecost. The new Peter was bold. He took a stand and stepped out in leadership on that day. The Holy Spirit changed him from the inside out in a way that even his years living with Jesus didn't.

Then there are the miracles the disciples performed. They healed. They cast out demons. These were the same disciples who back in the book of Mark couldn't cast out one demon from a boy because they lacked the faith. Not now though. Suddenly, they had the confidence that God would show His power through them. The difference? The Holy Spirit.

It is a huge testament of what the Spirit can do, if we let Him. If we live like we are conquerors, instead of the vanquished. If we live for God without apology instead of worrying about offending. If we live like God dwells in us, instead of relying on ourselves and our own puny strength. I can't wait to share these things God showed me with my class. And guess what? I'm no longer worried about being out of my depth because it's really not about what I know or don't know. It's about what God shows me to share with others. I can trust Him to always come through!

~ Blessings, Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment