Tuesday, July 7, 2009

IT'S OFFICIAL - I'VE BECOME ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!

What do I mean by those people? I mean the people who start to resemble their dogs! I dont' mean I look like Kipper - he is lean and elegant with long, flowing hair. I am short, round and have short, curly hair. What I mean is my personality is similar to my dog's. I started a new Bible study and as an ice breaker, we had to say which dog breed we were similar to. As I started to think about it, I realized that I was remarkably like my collie, Kipper.

We both are friendly and enjoy meeting new people. However, while we like about 98% of the people we meet, there are times we take an instant dislike to someone for no apparent reason. We just get a bad feeling.

We both tend to follow the rules but have a stubborn streak once in a while. Neither one of us likes to be manhandled into doing something, and if you get harsh with us, we tend to shut down. We both tend to bark at "boogey men." For Kipper, that means scary trash cans or rolls of old carpet. For me, that means imagined fears that aren't really a threat at all.

We are both pretty loyal and quick to forgive. But we never forget. Neither of us likes the heat and would rather hang out in the house with our loved ones. While we are laid back, we do get bursts of energy. We both are quick studies and like learning new things.

Actually, it was kind of scary to think of all the ways I am similar to my dog! I mean, who would have guessed. But there are some things I can learn from this. While most of the traits aren't too bad - I mean who minds being loyal - the one thing that hit me is how we both bark at phantoms. I wonder how many times God is thinking, It's just a harmless roll of old carpet while I am "barking" about it and on full alert. When I am walking Kipper, I know when things are harmless but he doesn't always because they surprise him or he doesn't recognize them. The same is true for me. God knows what is harmless and just looks scary.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." Isn't God awesome that He can use something as simple as a dog to bring a verse to life?
~ Blessings, Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment