Sunday, June 7, 2009

SUMMER IS HERE!

I am excited to say that summer has arrived at our house! School has been out one week, and I can't begin to tell you how much I am looking forward to 12 weeks (well 11 weeks now) of being with my kids, of not having to grade papers or rush around.

This past weekend we had a lot of graduation activities to go to. Not only did we actually have to attend graduation but my husband and I had eight parties to go to. It was a lot of fun, eating good food, hanging out, visiting, and did I say eating?

I always get nostolgic as I watch the fresh, eager faces of newly graduated high school seniors. They are full of hopes and dreams and possibilities. I remember standing there with my graduation cake that had a globe on it in blue and green icing. I really believed that the world was mine and I could do anything, be anything.

As the years go by, you lose that wide eyed optimism and big dreams are replaced by reality. But it was a good reminder to me that dreams and hopes are still mine, despite being 36 instead of 18 yo. The speaker at graduation was Senator Jim Jordan. He told this story about his favorite movie, Chariots of Fire. Apparently, the two main characters raced each other (each was considered one of the best). Little won, so this other guy was talking to his girlfriend. He was saying that since he lost and wasn't the best because "he ran to win." His girlfriend replied that "you can't win unless you run."

Isn't that true of all of us, whether we are 18 or 80? If we don't run, if we don't get into the race, there is no chance of winning at all. Paul talks about the a race that every Christian is in, that we are to put aside the things of the past and press on toward the mark, the high calling of God. It hit me that the high calling of God doesn't have to be taking on the world. It can mean being faithful in your own backyard, neighborhood or community. It means showing kindness and God's love to the cranky clerk at the store or taking the time to help a friend or stopping your to do list to listen to your child. We all have a choice. We can be in the race or we can just watch. I want to be in the race. At least then I have a chance of winning.
~ blessings, Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment