Sunday, June 14, 2009

I'LL JUST STICK MY HEAD BACK IN THE SAND

Our Sunday school class just started a new series on the "end times." On an online board of Christiam moms I frequent, much of the current events discussed are centered on the economy and the direction of our country and how the "end times" can't be far behind. I could feel my anxiety levels going up as Pastor David Jeremiah talked about the reality of crude oil and how our consumption as Americans is way past our production.

I started "what if-ing" with a vengence. What will I do if we have no heat or electricity? We don't have a fireplace or even a place to cook with a grill if the weather is bad because we don't have a garage or covered porch. Living in northwest Ohio, you know the weather is going to get bad and it will be pretty cold. What will I do for water? for food? What if, what if, what if... swirled around in my mind until I had us living under bundles of blankets while we all scrounged for scraps of food in the streets. Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but honestly, I can spiral into fear-induced what if scenerios faster than you can blink an eye. It's one of the downsides of having a good imagination.

Then my mind went to, what is the purpose of writing if God is coming back. Will a new book in the world or articles or devotionals make any difference if people are going through the tribulation anyway?

Then, in the midst of my panic, I heard God's still small voice in my spirit. "Take no thought for tomorrow for tomorrow will take care of itself." And then Matthew 6:26, 27, "Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

The reality is, once I reined in my out of control emotions and started looking at the truth, I calmed down. The truth is that God has always provided for us, not just necessities, but in abundance. Not only have we never gone without food, but we have good food and lots of choices (maybe even too much food if my waistline is any indication!). Not only do we have a roof over our heads, but our home is roomy and comfortable. Not only did a friend and my parents pass down to me some very nice furniture, but it ended up being in the colors I would have picked out anyway if I had gotten new stuff. Imagine, God not only blessed us with some nice new-to-us furniture, but He cared enough to make it in colors I really wanted. Based on my past history with God, was there really any need to worry about Him taking care of us in the future, no matter what happens? Nope!

As for my writing, God hit me with the fact that I don't have to worry about the Rapture coming if I am doing what He has called me to do. I had to repent right there for all the times I've let fears or worries or whatever hold me back. The only thing I want to hear when I stand before my Lord is "well done you good and faithful servant." If I am diligent to spend time with God and then obey what He tells me to do, there is nothing to fear or worry about. There isn't going to be a score card to see who has done the most, but I think God will look at if I have lived the life He created me to live. I certainly don't want to be like the servant with the talents who buried them for fear of losing them - I don't want to get to the end of my life and realize God had so much more for me and I missed out because I was disobedient to God's call and instructions in my life.

So, when you see those doomsday headlines or hear depressing newscasts, remember, the God of the universe is looking out of you. He has a plan and a purpose for your life and it isn't to harm you but is for your good. Because one thing you can always count on with God - He is always good and He is good all the time.
~ Blessings, Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment