Monday, October 22, 2012

INDIAN SUMMER

We are once again in the midst of one of my favorite months of the year - October! I love fall. I love the changing leaves and the crisp snap in the air. I love apples and cider and pumpkin spice lattes. :) I love the cozy feeling that cool nights bring.

One of the best things about October though, is usually, somewhere in there, we get an Indian summer. If you don't live in the North or Midwest, an Indian summer is beautiful summer-like weather when the weather has been decidedly fall-like and heading into winter-like. Usually, you have given in and changed over your closet to sweaters and sweatshirts.

This week, we've been experiencing our Indian summer. The temperatures are supposed to be in the 70's, the sky is blue and the trees are wearing their gorgeous fall colors. I sat outside to do my quiet time (figured I should probably enjoy it while I still could!) and soaked it all in.

While I love fall, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy balmy temperatures and sunshine less than the next person. I also still have some outside work to do, so I want to take advantage of the milder temperatures and sunshine!

The best thing about this week is that it reminded me that God's goodness and faithfulness are still visible even when you feel like you are going through a difficult and painful times.

This fall has not been a stellar time in our family. In fact, it's been downright hard lately. This hard time has come on the heels of a couple years of difficult times.

I'm tired. It sort of feels like I have been hiking for miles, thought I had gotten to my destination, only to look up and see a mountain looming in front of me. Did you ever see Homeward Bound - the movie about the two dogs and a cat that travel through the wilderness to find their family? I feel just like they did when they finally got to the top of the ridge, and instead of home, they saw a range of mountains they had yet to cross.

However, even when the cold winds begin to blow, God often surprises us with an Indian summer. We think that winter is moving in and sunshine and nice weather are far in the future. Then, God surprises us with His warmth and light in the midst of what feels like an endless, cold night.

During this difficult time, sometimes, it's hard to be thankful; it's hard to remember God's goodness, His faithfulness and His blessings.

Today, I was reminded that I still have a lot to be thankful for - that God's light is still shining on me and my family. He never leaves. He never fails. He never breaks a promise.

I'm sure things will feel hard again. But today - today, I'll savor the sunshine.

"I would have despaired unless I had believed I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." Psalms 27:13

~ Blessings, Bronte



No comments:

Post a Comment