Tuesday, August 28, 2012

SCHOOL STARTS WITH A BANG!

I mean that quite literally too. Brock broke his nose yesterday and bit nearly through his bottom lip. My dear husband spent most of the night and into the wee morning hours at the ER with Brock.

It wasn't exactly the way I wanted to start a new school year. In fact, I planned to write a blog yesterday replete with nostalgia since my oldest is entering high school and my youngest (gasp and grab a hanky) is entering middle school. I can't really believe they are 11 and 14 years old when it seems just yesterday we were hip deep in sippy cups and I thought if I had to listen to Dora the Explorer babble in Spanish one more time, I might just throw something at the television.

Now, we are dealing with acne, puberty and what being a real man is all about. Swiper and Dora are really the least of my worries anymore (does anyone know why she has such a ginormous head anyway?)

But, I got a little sidetracked on my trip down memory lane. Instead, we had an evening that revolved around ice and an ER visit.

It's always a shock to realize that life can change in the blink of an eye. Fortunately, Brock is fine. He doesn't even look that banged up, if you can believe it!

We were at the school cleaning since the cleaner decided he didn't want that job sort of at the last minute. I can't say my idea of a great evening was vacuuming, but hey, at least I wasn't the one who had to clean the toilets! ;)

Brock came jogging out of a room, forgot the floor had been mopped and the next thing he knew he did a face plant on the hard floor.

It could have been so much worse. While his poor mouth and nose took the brunt of the fall, he could have hit his head really hard and had a concussion. He could have lost teeth or broken his nose more severely or dislocated it.

I'm so thankful he is all right.

And while there are days I miss the sticky kisses and chubby arms wrapped around my neck, I wouldn't go back. Because if I spend all my time looking back, sighing sadly that my boys aren't my babies anymore, I'll miss that they are turning into men - men I can be proud of, too! The truth is I don't want them to stay babies. I WANT them to be men and be independent. I suppose that is part of the pain of childbirth that Genesis talks about. Being a mom is bittersweet. The whole point is that your children become separate people - no longer dependent on you.

I pray this school year stretches their minds, matures their emotions and strengthens their bodies. I pray that whatever happens - good or bad - will only draw them into deeper relationship with the God that loves them even more than I do.

Hey, at least this year started out with a bang and things can only get better from here!

~ Blessings, Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment