Sunday, February 20, 2011

CHOSEN AND LOVED

When I was in kindergarten, I had this friend named Emily. Emily wasn't always the nicest of little girls. For instance, she invited me over to her house and then spent the entire visit hiding under the bed - not exactly a playdate success. She could also say some mean things once in a while. I remember one day we were playing on recess and for whatever reason (I can't remember now), Emily was mad at me. Since she was a little girl and not a little boy, she decided to take a verbal swing at me.

I was adopted and Emily knew this. She lifted her little chin, looked down her button nose at me and said, "Your mommy and daddy didn't want you."

Not cowed in the least, I narrowed my eyes, stuck my face within an inch of hers and informed her, "MY parents chose me; yours were stuck with you!" And off I flounced, leaving little Emily standing on the playground.

For some kids, a comment like that would have been devastating, but it didn't hurt me at all. Why is that, you might ask. It was because, even at the tender age of five, I knew who I belonged to and that I was loved, and because of that knowledge I knew who I was and was confident in that. For me, being adopted was never a cause for angst because I saw it not as being rejected by someone, but as being chosen by someone.

In our spiritual lives, the Bible says that we were "predestined for adoption." In those tmes, when a child was adopted, all the legal rights associated with a child born into the family were given to the adopted child.

How many of us live as if we are not quite sure of our place in God's family? I know I am guilty of times like living as a guest and not a true family member, with all rights, priveleges and powers that being a child of God entails.

Over and over again this year, through Bible studies and teachings that I hear, I am impressed by the importance to really KNOW who I am in Christ and then to choose to believe that truth, no matter how I happen to be feeling that day. That means, I'm a princess whether I am having a good hair day or not!

Below are just a few things that God says in His Word are true about one of His children. I hope they bless you and amaze you as much as they did me this week.

* Part of the true vine (John 15:1-2)
* Receive every spiritual blessing in the heavently places (Eph. 1:6)
* God will complete a good work in you (Phil. 1:6)
* Member of Christ's body (I Cor. 12:27)
* Free from condemnation (Rom. 8:31)
* Can't be seperated from God's love (Rom.8:32-39)
* Light in the world (Matt. 5:14)
* Hidden in Christ (Col. 3:1-4)
* Born of God and Satan cannot touch me (I John 5:18)
* Christ's friend (John 15:15)
* Redeemed and forgiven (Eph. 1:3)
* Given the mind of Christ (I Cor. 2:16)
* Made alive with Chris (Eph. 2:5)
* Child of God (I John 3:1,2)

There are many more things we are as children of God than this, but I hope these few encourage you.
~ Blessings, Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment