Thursday, April 14, 2011

HIDEOUTS

When I was in my early teens, it was all the rage to have a jean jacket and have buttons with sayings, things like "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." Being a hip person, I had a jacket that burst with buttons. My favorite one was one I got in Kentucky, of all places. It said, "Reality is for those who lack imagination."

I've been a dreamer my entire life. Just ask my mom if you don't believe me. She'd be calling me to come do something or to say it was time to leave, but I wouldn't even hear her because my head was in the clouds, my nose was in a book or, as was usually the case, both.

It's okay to be a dreamer. People who are dreamers and have their head in the clouds, see and discover things that people who keep both feet planted firmly on the ground never do. However, as with everything, there is a flip side of being a dreamer. To live life, you have to at least keep one toe on the ground now and again. Dreamers can spend their whole lives just living in their heads and never actually DO anything about all those things they see in the clouds.

Dreamers can also be hiders. That would be me lately. I am doing this Bible study called Made to Crave. It is actually about the spiritual answer to the problem of food issues. See, I have this dirty little secret - I like to go out by myself to eat. I was never sure why I had this overwhelming urge to sit in Panera Bread by myself with a book and good food, but I do.

So, I was doing my day's Bible study and it asked why I liked to eat - for comfort, to relieve stress, to reward myself. Then it asked how it would look if I went to God for my comfort, to relieve my stress, to reward myself. As I was writing out my answer, it suddenly dawned on me WHY I like to eat out by myself - it is a way of hiding.

When I go somewhere else to eat, I can retreat from reality for a little while. I don't see the laundry that needs doing or the drawer that needs to be cleaned out. The dog is not walking by reminding me that I need to brush him soon and also vacuum up all those hair balls floating around; I can put off doing or making decisions that are clamouring for my attention. Eating out by myself is a way for me to retreat to my imagination instead of living in my reality. (I always bring a good book).

God is really good at showing me things in the way I need to see them, and not just leaving me with the issue but giving me an answer. He next brought to mind all the verses that talk about GOD being my hiding place; GOD being my rock; GOD being my resting place; GOD being the strong tower I run in to. It was a light bulb moment for me and one I hope will have a truly big impact on both my eating habits and my budget!

I'll leave you with the lyrics of this song that God placed in my heart this morning as He gently showed me that reality can be a very good place to be when HE is my hiding place.

You Are My Hiding Place
You are my hiding place.
You always fill my heart,
With songs of deliverance.
Whenever I am afraid,
I will trust in You.

I will trust in You.
Let the weak say,
I am strong,
In the strength of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment