Friday, May 22, 2009

AN ANSWER TO PRAYER

I have been praying about where to start with my writing. Currently, I write articles for our local Christian radio station's newsletter. I enjoy interviewing these people, most of whom have overcome great obstacles or tragedies. However, it is not high paying, nor does it take up a lot of my time, really.

Because I just am not sure where to start, I thought it would be a great idea to take an online writing class, to brush up on things, to connect with other writers, to get the benefit of someone who has been there and done that. Unfortunately, there are a lot of frauds on the internet so I combed through many sites. Finally, I found it! Jerry Jenkins' Christian Writers Guild offers online courses. They are very high quality and you are assigned a mentor. Perfect.

Perfect, except for one small detail. The coursework was expensive, as in major investment for us. I started praying. I told God I felt He had led me to this site, but how was I supposed to ask my husband, sweet and kind as he is, for this much money on something that is NOT a sure thing? How could I ask to spend that kind of money on something I had NOT shown a self-discipline in up to this point. Sure, I am planning on structured writing time every day this summer, but up until now, I haven't shown that I was willing or able to accomplish that.

Let me explain about my husband. He is the greatest guy in the world. He has integrity and he is even tempered and has lots of integrity. He is also a realist. I am a dreamer. Together, we make the perfect team- he keeps me tethered to the earth so I don't fly off into the clouds. He is the one that asks the questions to take me from an idea to a reality. In turn, I (or at least I hope I do) inspire him to dream a little and get away from hard facts for a while. Neither of us are going to change significantly but we do complement each other - a sum greater than its parts, so to speak.

I was really praying about not only how I was going to approach this or even if I should, but also which coursework that I should pursue - fiction or nonfiction. While my dream is to write a book and I plan to start that, the hard truth is writing nonfiction is what pays the bills for most writers, me included. Either course track - fiction or nonfiction - required a commitment of money and time. I was torn.

Last night, I opened my email to find a message from the director. Of course, it wasn't specifically for me but for all the people on the guy's mailing list. They had just started a new course. It was MUCH less expensive (as in at least $1000 less!) and it was for a much shorter time frame. There was my answer! I will not have nearly as much problem asking to spend the price of this course, nor will I balk at the time commitment.

I asked God to make a way. And He did! I know it is a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but it is a specific, tailored answer to prayer. Not only is the way to take an online course and get serious about my writing while having contact with other writers and having accountability happen, but my prayer of finding a mentor who has walked this road before was also answered!!!!

"My God will supply all your needs, according to His riches..." Every day God shows me that I can trust Him with everything, even the small details because His love is perfect, because He has plans and a purpose for me, because He wants to prosper me and not to harm me. It's so awesome to know that God is not just the God of the universe but a personal God that is involved intimately in my life!
~blessings, Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment