Friday, April 24, 2009

A BOOK BY ANY OTHER NAME

I was at the library the other week, and a title just jumped out at me. It was called Stuck. I knew I had to get it. I wanted to see what someone thought of being stuck from a secular perspective.

So, I started reading, and not really all that surprisingly, I got about three or four chapters in and the author started talking about how religion is a type of being stuck in the past. Bound by traditions and rules that no longer work in our current world. At first I felt rather indignant. Then I realized she was right. Religion WILL keep you stuck.

What I have is a relationship. A relationship with Christ. It's different because with Christ, you aren't stuck. With Christ, it is possible to overcome strongholds, move past old hurts, let go of unforgivness, love the unlovable, be filled with the Holy Spirit, show the fruits of the spirit. None of those things are possible on your own. Being in relationship with Christ is the only way to be unstuck. It's through HIS power that we are able to "throw off the chains that so easily bind us and run the race that is set before us." That's not being stuck. That's living in the fullness of Christ.

So, don't give me that old time religion. Give me an everchanging, yet always reliable relationship with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He is the only one with the true power to set us free. Free indeed!
~ Blessings, Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment